Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Here we begin.

I've thought about doing a photography blog for a while. I think I'm just always afraid that it's more work than I have time for. But we'll give it a shot.

I recently flew to Seattle to shoot my old roommate's wedding. I was so happy that I could be a part of their big moment. Andi and David have been really great friends of mine for the past year.

It was a terribly bright Seattle Sunday. I was very worried because of how intense the sun was that day. I pictured squinty eyes and ridiculously bright photos. I'm a natural light photographer, so indoor photography isn't really my thing. I much prefer to use the sun to light my photos. I feel that the photo ends up a lot softer this way than with strobes. And I've never used reflectors. I just kinda do what I do and understand that I'm gonna have to deal with it in post processing.

But in the end, things were amazing. Except for that rude photographer that I met at Gas Works Park as David and Andi were about to see eachother for the first time. Note to Self: Never shoot photos at Gas Works Park on a weekend ever again. :)

I also had 3 other shoots while I was in town. PRODUCTIVE!
All in all, it was a really great trip.
Starbucks, thai food, photos and lots of love in the air. :)

Here are some photos from the trip:

David + Andi = <3



David + Andi = <3

David + Andi = <3



Mr. Rowland

The Rowlands.

And lastly, a before/after. I'm always curious. Maybe you are too. Post processing is a very big part of my work. When I take a photo, I already have the photo composed and finished in my mind. I have a very good idea of what I am going to do with the photo once I've taken it.

Before/After

The end. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just curious, would you be up to doing an evening wedding/reception? I noticed you mentioned using the sun a lot for lighting and wondered if this would be a problem.

Jessica Valle said...

Yeah. It would be a little trickier though. Most churches don't allow flash during a wedding. The best time for photos is during the day. For sure.

I do use flash during receptions because most of them are during the night. You should just really make sure that your reception area has low ceilings. Nothing too high, so that the light can bounce off of them for photos.